Monday, March 17, 2014

Avocado Toast, a great nutritional breakfast!

Today, I am going to forget my kids for a moment. I want to talk about real nutrition for myself. I am noticeably overweight, and have been for my entire life. (Note: I weighed 97 pounds in Kindergarten!!) That being said, I have lost weight on and off throughout my life, through various methods. In the past year, I have quit focusing on a number on a scale, and started focusing on the nutrition that I put into my body. Have I seen a huge payoff in a scale number? No. Have I seen my mood and other physical changes? Yes, and for the better! So, this brings me to my favorite find...Avocado toast. This is a great nutritional breakfast or snack for anytime during the day. It is delicious, and also satisfying. 

Ingredients: 
One slice of low calorie, all natural bread of your choice
1/2 cup of diced avocado
Salt and pepper (Optional)

I start by halving my bread and toasting it. I half it because this particular bread (discussed below) doesn't fit in my toaster whole.

  I, then, dice my avocado and put it into a tupperware container.
 I use only 1/2 cup of the diced avocado, but probably a little less, for the entire piece of bread.
 Smear the avocado over both pieces. Then you can add seasonings to your liking. Note: This is delicious without anything at all!


Avocado(1/2 cup, diced):: 120 calories, 11 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, 5 grams of dietary fiber, and 1.5 grams of protein
Toast(1 slice):: 100 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 1 gram of dietary fiber, and 3 grams of protein

For one slice of toast with 1/2 cup of avocado, you are getting the following nutritional values:
220 calories
11 grams of fat (all plant based, no added oils or processed junk)
1.5 grams of saturated fat
0 cholesterol
6 grams of dietary fiber
4.5 grams of protein

Not to mention the high values of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Potassium in the avocado!!
This is what makes this so nutritional! So, go and enjoy a slice and don't feel guilty about it.

Now, for my bread choice. We eat an all-natural diet. We are not 100% organic, but I do use mostly organic fruits, vegetables, and seasonings in our home. We do NOT use any artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or bad preservatives (TBHQ, BHT, BHA) ever. We only buy products that have been proven to be free of the things we avoid as a family. So, for our bread, we use Trader Joe's The Shepherd's Bread. This bread is amazing and delicious. It has a low calorie count and no fat, and contains fiber and protein. One slice is approximately 8 inches long and 5 inches high, so you can use a single slice for toast or to make a sandwich. Please seen the nutritional information below, and notice the packaging from Trader Joe's. They offer a pretty great variety of breads, but this is the best nutritionally, if you are looking for a "white" bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment