Sunday, September 28, 2014

No oil/butter - Pumpkin Muffins

I had a bag of pureed pumpkin, in a one cup portion, in my freezer. Since fall is upon us, I decided I should use the last of the frozen before I prep and freeze more pumpkin puree this year. I looked at various recipes for pumpkin muffins and cupcakes, but couldn't find one that I just loved. The main set-back in the ones I reviewed was that they contained canola oil, which we avoid in our kitchen. I also wanted to try and stay away from butter and other oils for this recipe, for the fun of it.

For this recipe, you will need:
2 Cups of Flour (we use whole wheat)
1 Teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon of baking soda
1 Teaspoon of salt
2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
2/3 Cup Sugar (we use raw sugar)
1 Teaspoon of Molasses
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk with 1 tsp. vinegar - let sit for a few minutes before use)
2 eggs


Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place muffin cups (my recipe produced 17 muffins, but I used shaped cups) on a baking sheet, or line muffin pans.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar; set aside. 

3. Combine the applesauce, pumpkin puree, buttermilk, molasses, and eggs and mix until well blended. 



4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients and blend until combined. *Note - At this point, you can throw in nuts, raisins, diced fruits, shaved carrots, and any other dry (non-absorbent) ingredients you would like. We chose plain for this recipe.

5. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment