Thursday, May 29, 2014

Magic in Rainbows

A couple of days ago, my son came home from school excited to show me something. He always makes me close my eyes, and tells me no peaking; however, I turn into a big kid again and I squint, so I can still see a bit. He pulled out a piece of construction paper with a drawing, and then yelled "You can open your eyes now!". He had this picture.....
He didn't even allow me to ask him about the picture before he exclaimed "Mom, it's me and you next to a rainbow!". He proceeded to tell me how "rainbows are magic", and wanted to know if I had ever seen one. I told him I had, and then he talked about one that he saw last week with such awe and amazement. We hung his picture on the refrigerator, but I started reflecting on his concept that there is magic in rainbows. 

Think about the first time that you saw a rainbow. It was magical, right? Magical may not be the word that you would use to describe it now, but you may choose similar words like fascinating, breath taking, awe inspiring, beautiful, etc. A rainbow doesn't happen every day, so it's rarity holds some magic. Every time I see a rainbow, it brings back a childhood light and a smile to my face.

The rainbow that Malachi drew was no different. In it, there is "magic", or divine power. When he was just two, a doctor diagnosed him with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). After many years of therapies and interventions, a lot of patience and acceptance, and loads of love, Malachi produced this picture. He is seven now, and in this picture, I am part of his world. I smiled like a child, in awe of his rainbow's simplicity, yet knowing how complex the picture is. The picture tells so many magical stories, of first words, complete sentences, learning to read, learning to love, showing affection, and conquering mountains to see the rainbows! So, there is magic in rainbows.


“Magic exists. Who can doubt it, when there are rainbows and wildflowers, the music of the wind and the silence of the stars? Anyone who has loved has been touched by magic. It is such a simple and such an extraordinary part of the lives we live.” ― Nora Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment